The Green Fan

One apartment. Five roommates. Countless stories.

Friday, September 24, 2004

The Refrigerator

We've told you about the green fan, and now it's time to discuss the refrigerator. I don't think we actually bought it - I think someone gave it to us. Probably they would have PAID us to take it off their hands. I am sure it was the majority of our electric bill, but hey - it was free. The space for the refrigerator was in a corner next to a wall, and the door opened up toward the wall - very awkward. My boyfriend suggested we turn the door around - it's made to do that, you know. Well, we did, and we failed to realize that you should not do this on an old appliance, since things shift and crumple with age. Anyways, once we got it switched around, it never completely closed. Yep, that's right - the light stayed on all the time. And those lights get pretty hot. So all the food spoiled on the top shelf. My solution was to unscrew the lightbulb - turn on the kitchen lights! But no - I was overrulled. Everyone else insisted that we need a light in there. So that is how I claimed the bottom shelf for mine - the farthest away from the light. The other funny story I remember about our refrigerator is the day we cleaned it out. THE DAY. We lived together for a year, and I can only remember ONE DAY where we cleaned it out. Very scary. Anyway, we were running out of room and things were piling up, and we realized that we all thought the things weren't ours, so whose were they? Me, Sherry, MaryBeth, and Karleen made a date to clean it out. It took us an hour. Four women, one refrigerator, one hour. There were many tupperware casulties that day. Unidentifiable substances. Smells that made us gag. Unbelieveable mold. And still, none of us claimed the items as our own. We blamed everything on our mostly absent roommate, Lois.

1 Comments:

At September 24, 2004 at 8:37 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Well, I can tell you right now that none of that food was mine. I couldn't afford food! My Top Ramen was occasionally supplemented by MB's garlic chicken--that's about all I ever ate at home, I think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home