The Green Fan

One apartment. Five roommates. Countless stories.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

One Summer Night

(Hi Allison! Of course I remember you! So does Stuart - he says he'll make your whole family pancakes if you are ever out this way :) This post is for you.)
When we moved in to our horrid little apartment, we had very little furniture. And no refrigerator. Not to worry, though, because between all of us, we had three little dorm fridges. We stacked them up and were good to go. Other than the serious electric problem, we also had a freezer shortage that summer. It was really too bad because Tera, one of our summer roomies, brought to the table a case of otter pops. A CASE. We had enough otter pops for the entire summer. She was a really fun roommate. I'll always remember going to AM/PM with her, to fill up our Big Gulps with soda - in the morning - on our way to our boring jobs in the mail room. Actually, they were pretty great jobs because we occasionally got to drive the little battery-powered mail cars around campus. Fun stuff. Anyway, she knew the AM/PM guy. She shot the breeze with this guy every morning, and sometimes in the afternoon, too, on the way home. He always asked me about her when I went in there alone. That was Tera - everyone liked her. She sparkles. We had this one night, I think it was in July, and it was really really hot, and we couldn't sleep. So we started talking, thinking that eventually we'd get tired enough and drop off. We talked and talked and talked. And, just when we were going to look at see what time it was, we heard a noise outside the window - our crazy neighbor's radio alarm clock, set to a country station, was going off. And we laughed, because we knew that it was 5:00 am and we had talked the entire night. I've never done that with anyone else, before or after. Just that one crazy night with Tera, where we talked all night long.

4 Comments:

At May 29, 2005 at 5:12 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Yikes, Sheila, if I had to count how many times I have stayed up talking until dawn...I'm really not sure if I could remember them all.

Of course, I learned how to stay up all night by attending slumber parties as an 11-12 year old (many of which would have been held at Alison's house--that big huge long house that was perfect for them because you couldn't hear noise from one end to another). Slumber parties were places where terrible jokes were played on people, and I was not about to be the victim EVER, so I simply learned to stay awake--all night, every time. Good training for college, I guess. That skill also came in handy when dating my spouse, as we (once again trying to stay out of trouble) frequented a particular 24 hour restaurant in Long Beach because, for the price of a pot of coffee, we could stay and talk until the sun came up. We actually invited our favorite graveyard shift waitress to the wedding, as she helped us make many decisions about the ceremony itself and knew our relationship as well as anyone.

------------

Tera, dear Tera. I still recall her look of alarm when she moved in with a case of Otter Pops and another case of Bagel Dogs--everything a girl could want, I guess.

I would care to bet that there are still, to this day, little plastic Otter Pop tops (the little pieces of plastic she would cut off the top) hiding in corners of that apartment. THROW YOUR TRASH AWAY, TERA!!!

But yes, she was fun.

 
At May 29, 2005 at 7:00 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Tera's look of alarm, of course, came when she realized that we didn't have a freezer. Sorry, I forgot to finish that thought.

 
At May 29, 2005 at 8:08 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Aaaahhhh! The bagel dogs! I totally forgot about those! So so funny. Yes, I missed that "stay-up-all-night" gene. Sadly, I have the "needs-lots-of-sleep-or-is-a-big-crab" gene. My kids, they have the no-sleep gene. Scary, isn't it?

 
At May 30, 2005 at 9:25 PM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

A gold star for Sheila too! Aren't we all relieved. Good story. Say hi to Stuart.

I just wanted to encourage you both to keep writing.

Thanks for indulging me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home