The Green Fan

One apartment. Five roommates. Countless stories.

Monday, June 06, 2005

The Legend of Molly Sue

The following story may or may not be true. It cannot be easily proven or disproven. The characters it portrays may very well be fictional and may bear no particular resemblance to any actual person, either living or dead.

------------

Although this blog centers around a certain apartment full of college girls and their beloved electric box fan, there is one non-roommate whose story deserves to be told here. Her name was Molly Sue.

Molly Sue had lived in the same dorm with Sheila and me, the roommate of our own beloved Carrie Beth, who may or may not have ever been mentioned heretofore in this blog by any other similar sounding name.

We were good friends, all of us, and I think I could speak for everyone that Molly Sue was the greatest. Her dry, lightning-quick wit was legendary and her sense of genuine fun, brilliant. I can recall so many deep conversations and fun times with her.

One semester Molly and I, upon finding ourselves in the same lit. class, used to compete to see who could put off starting their essays the longest and yet still receive a top grade.

The midnight hour would come and go. The phone would ring, annoying the heck out of our more sensible roommates who had long since gone to bed.

"Hello?"

"Have you started yet?"

"No. Have YOU?"

"No. Just checking." CLICK.

So many stories could be told about Molly Sue, but really only one matters. It is THE Molly Sue Story, and I will humbly attempt it to do it justice here and now.

------------

Molly Sue was in love with a boy named...uh...Ike. Yeah, like Eisenhower, whatever. He was also a full-time student at our school and a really wonderful guy whom we all liked very much. They were to be married during the summer after our junior year, back in her home town of...well...some big city on the Mississippi River with a famous landmark. The wedding would be a beautiful formal event, surrounded by family and friends.

Ike and Molly couldn't have been happier. They appeared to be what a solid Christian couple should be, a shining example of purity and high morals, set on glorifying God in their lives.

Then one day, Molly Sue called me on the phone.

"Hello?"

"Yeah, uh, Sherry, could you come over? I kind of need to talk to someone and I feel like I can trust you. It's important."

It was easily apparent to me that something was dreadfully wrong. Molly was a smooth and polished orator in every situation, and her obvious nervousness was out of character. I had never heard her sound this...frightened...yes, that was it; she sounded scared out of her mind.

She was pregnant. I knew it. It had to be. She and Ike had fallen and gotten caught. My heart ached for her. How would her family take it? Her friends? What would it do to her relationship with Ike? Resolving to be strong and loving and not to abandon her in this time of need, I said I'd be right over. At that time, she lived just across the hall, a couple of doors down. I didn't have far to go.

As soon as I knocked, she opened the door and pulled me inside, closing the door tightly behind me. Molly Sue's face was flushed and her always wild, thick blond curls looked wilder than ever, as if she had been twirling and tugging them nervously for some time. Her roommate, Carrie Beth, was not home. I wondered if she knew yet.

"What's up, Molly? You look nervous or upset about something."

"Yeah, well, I am nervous. Can you keep a secret, Sherry? I mean really keep a secret. Seriously. It's really important to me."

"Of course, Molly. What's wrong?"

Her voice trembled and her long, strong fingernails (how did she type with those things, I wondered) tapped rhythmically on her dresser.

"Ok, well, I wasn't going to tell anyone this, but I just feel like if I don't, I'm going to burst. I can't hold this in all alone for the rest of the school year. It's really big."

"Tell me, Molly Sue," I said gently, trying to sound compassionate and trustworthy. How terrible this must be for her. I would be supportive. She needed me.

"Ok," she looked down, nails still clicking away, "Ike and I, well, we weren't planning to do this yet at all, but it just felt right at the time, and well..."

It was just as I had feared.  I was ready to respond well.  Oh, the fallen world we lived in!  Oh, the curse of this wretched sin nature!  Poor Holly and Ike.  They had been so committed to purity!  This was going to change the course of their lives.

"Um, well...Ike and I...um, we got married this weekend."

"What are you talking about?"  This was not what I had expected to hear.

"We got married. We drove to Vegas and got married! For the financial aid. We went to fill out our financial aid forms for next year and realized how much more we would qualify for if we were already married, you know, two full-time students with only part-time jobs, not dependent on our parents anymore."

My mind was reeling. "You got married," I squinted at her and cocked my head slightly, "Married, married?"

She blinked, then understood.  "NO! Not like that! Ohmigosh, no," she jumped, finally stopping the drumming of her fingernails to lay her heavy hand on my arm. She had read my unspoken question loud and clear. "No. Absolutely not. No, we can't. We won't. Not until after the wedding this summer. Not until we say 'I do' in front of God and our family."

"But you're legal..."

"No! That's just it, we are only legal on paper, not in our hearts, not before God. We just did it because it seemed to make so much sense financially. You've got to help me though, because we KNOW we are legal now. You know Ike has his own apartment, no roommate. I can't go there, Sherry, I can't. We both know it, but I'm afraid it would be so easy. We are totally committed to staying pure and this is going to make it so much more difficult.

"I can't believe you did this."

We both began to giggle with nervous excitement.

"I can't believe we did it either!"

Andy and I double-dated with Ike and Molly Sue several times, both before and after we were married, and as far as I know, only a handful of people were ever let into the secret, purity was preserved, the wedding took place as planned, her family was never the wiser, and they continue to live happily ever after--or as happily ever after as any of us.

Now that's what I call beating the system.

You're my hero, Molly Sue.

That is, if you really exist and if, indeed, any of this is actually true at all. It could just be a tall tale, you know.

7 Comments:

At June 7, 2005 at 7:44 AM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

I was really worrying, "Hello, Sherry, you promised to keep a secret..." Isn't it funny the way our brains get busy making things up when we have a little time to kill before we know something. At times Paul will set up a story and start telling it. I try to follow him until I can't take it anymore and shriek, "What, what! I have made up 8 scenarios!! Bottom line me, please!!!!"

Thanks for writing. Keep writing.

 
At June 7, 2005 at 8:49 AM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

I do the same thing to Andy, almost to the letter. He is a great storyteller, but sometimes I just can't stand the suspense. Often I'll interrupt with, "Is this a good or bad thing?" and then let him continue. Other times, I'll blurt out, "Bottom line. Just skip to the bottom line and then tell me the details."

 
At June 7, 2005 at 12:20 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

So so funny. Great "story" hehehe I keep thinking of that scene from "Sixteen Candles"
Married?
Married.
Married?
Yea, married. Jeez!

 
At June 10, 2005 at 8:25 PM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

OK, Sheila it's up to you!

Let's keep this baby afloat.

 
At June 23, 2005 at 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny. It took me 3/4 of the way through the story to figure out who you were referring to (of course, hypothetically referring to).

Molly Lou, Molly Lou, Molly Lou, Molly - lou - ya! Praise Ye the Lord.

--K

 
At October 12, 2006 at 9:23 AM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Theo Mom,

Yes, you do know exactly who this is--the Christmas Twin herself.

 
At October 12, 2006 at 9:23 AM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Karleen,

That song still haunts me to this day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home