The Green Fan

One apartment. Five roommates. Countless stories.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Passionate Lover of Jesus

This was Mary Beth's e-mail address for a number of years, passionateloverofjesus@something-or-other.com Incidentally, mail sent there started coming back to me over a year ago. Sheila, do you have something current? And her e-mail address summed it up pretty well. She didn't choose this moniker to be boastful in any way. MB wouldn't think to do that. She seemed to know God and hear His voice in that intimate way that most only wish for. When she said she would pray for you about something, it was cause for celebration, because you just got the feeling that her prayers counted for double or maybe even triple.

Mary Beth was real. She was fully engaged here on earth, and fully in communion with her Savior at the same time. She taught me a lot about serving, about loving, about showing genuine care and concern. She taught me about listening to people without constantly planning a comeback.

I know this is not fair and unduly sets her up on a pedestal, but that was pretty much how I always felt about her. I had so much respect for her that she intimidated me at times--although she would laugh at such a thought.

Funny. Remember when Mary Beth started her nursing internship and got her stethoscope? She draped it, along with her hospital ID over the rear view mirror of that silver Isuzu Trooper she drove, in very much the same way that all the cool 5th year nursing students did. I distinctly remember realizing that she was proud of those things hanging there and enjoyed showing them off as a status symbol. It stuck in my memory because it was such a surprise; I had never EVER before that seen MB do anything even the remotest bit prideful. It was out of character for her, but the truth was, I was proud of her, too, so I allowed her that one quiet indulgence.

I wish I could have had Mary Beth as a nurse when I was in the hospital having babies. She became a labor and delivery nurse, you know. What an encourager she must have been in that role. Can't you just see her smile, Sheila, her dark, piercing eyes willing you to hang in there during the worst of it?

Of all the people I have lost contact with in recent years, I miss Mary Beth the most.

Alison, sorry this wasn't the humorous anecdote you were anticipating. This just fit my mood better tonight.

It was my turn to share an extended testimony at my Bible study this morning and I shared some pretty tough stuff--tougher than I realized when I was planning it out. It was the first time I've broken down in front of my new friends here in Montana and I had most of them crying, too. It took me by surprise, and I've been quiet and somewhat reflective the rest of the day.

It's good to have friends you can cry with. I didn't learn that until my last couple of years in Vancouver, just in time to say good-bye. I guess I'm glad that I can do that now. The women in this Bible study--how special they are becoming to me, and so quickly.

Crying again. Don't know why, but I don't complain. I spent too many years of my life dry, no tears to shed whatsoever. I seem to be making up for it now.

Elliana says that crying helps get the sadness out. I didn't teach her this, but she's right.

11 Comments:

At June 4, 2005 at 1:47 PM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

Of all the people in the world you don't have to apologize to for getting weepy, tis me.

I usually tear up when I talk at MOPS because I am committed to giving it all and with me, giving it all usually involves tears of sorrow, sometimes of joy and at times wonder of God's goodness and grace to me.

I am glad you are making real true friends.

Thanks for posting.

 
At June 5, 2005 at 4:52 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Mary Beth. If she was my labor and delivery nurse, I wouldn't have needed the epidural. She was always an angel of mercy, in the hospital and in the kitchen. She made the best bread ever. EVER. We ate her bread faster than any four girls I've ever seen eat bread. I don't have her current email, but I'll have to poke around the Biola website this week and see if I can find her, maybe a friend of a friend . . . Sherry, do you ever talk to HollyLu anymore? I miss her, too. She was never a roommate, but I feel like she was.

 
At June 5, 2005 at 4:53 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Sherry should get some gold stars, too. She's been posting up a storm!

 
At June 5, 2005 at 5:30 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Oh, great blogmaster, would you grant me permission to post a non-apartment story, a HollyLu story, THE Hollylu Story here?

 
At June 5, 2005 at 5:36 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Yes, M.B. made great bread, I won't deny that, but the fact is, we were starving--at least I was starving. Anything that was freshly made and still warm would have been eaten that fast, I think. I think I was making $400/month during that entire year. Take out my share of the rent and utilities; the expenses of driving a car between La Palma, La Mirada and Long Beach every day; school books; etc.; there just wasn't much left for groceries.

 
At June 6, 2005 at 6:13 AM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

I can't wait to hear about HollyLu.

Gold stars for all!

 
At June 6, 2005 at 4:07 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Are you going to put THE Hollylu story up - the one that you had to swear to secrecy??? Have we ever said her last name? Can we continue to protect the innocent? Or is it just too late for that? IT'S TOO LATE! NAME NAMES AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET US FREE!!! (ok, i'm done. that was fun, though. how many people actually read this site? you (sherry), me, alison, mrsfish, does jaymarie read this? anyone else?)

 
At June 6, 2005 at 4:16 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

OH YIPPIE! I may have found her! Is her husband named Seth? And she has three boys? If so, she's at mssponski@yahoo.com. If not, I've just sent mail to a stranger.

 
At June 6, 2005 at 8:35 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Yes, Seth and three boys. That's the one. Good detective work, She! Oh, and I think she has dropped the B in MB. Pretty sure her post-college friends just call her Mary.

 
At June 11, 2005 at 10:33 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Well, I'm pretty sure that was her, and no reply or bounced email back. So now I have to email her and pester her until she responds. sigh.

 
At June 23, 2005 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MB is married to Seth. She added a girl to her three boys last summer. I'll double-check the email address you have -- she sent hers to me last year. --K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home