The Green Fan

One apartment. Five roommates. Countless stories.

Monday, October 03, 2005

A Place of Our Own

I remember when we first moved into the apartment. We had so little furniture, but we were so happy to be off campus and in an apartment that we didn't care. I can recall an odd assortment of lawn chairs--the low kind, sand chairs--in the living room at first and maybe a kitchen table with a few chrome chairs in the dining room. No beds. Before very long, someone gave us a lumpy, ugly couch and it became the coveted sleeping spot. It was first come, first served, since no one person could totally lay claim to it.

I remember being out on dates with Andy and having to make the tough call:

Should I say yes to going out for coffee, even though it is already late, or try to rush home and hope I'm in time to get the couch instead of the floor? But what if I do rush home and one of the other girls thought the same thing and beats me home? Then I'll miss out on coffee and conversation late into the night for nothing--same old hard floor as always.

Eventually, we added at least one other ugly sofa--there may have even been a total of three. Also, I rounded up a bed somewhere--I think my merciful little brother gave me one of the bunks from his bunkbed set. Sheila had the most pathetic sofa sleeper thing that she used all year--not actually a sofa--just an overstuffed chair that folded out into a sort of twin bed. Karleen must have had some sort of bed eventually. In contrast, Mary Beth had a nicely appointed bedroom with coordinating accessories and decor on the walls, I think. Brenda had...well, I have no idea. I don't know if I ever went in there when it was occupied by either her or her replacement roommate, Lois.

It never was a pretty apartment, but we invited people over just the same. I wonder what they thought of our little pit? Remember how we even had that big Christmas party and everything? What were we thinking, bringing people into that place? They were all so polite, as I recall. What we lacked in decor, we made up for in fun, perhaps.

10 Comments:

At October 4, 2005 at 11:59 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Yes, it was not a pretty place. But it was off campus, and ours. I often wonder about all that furniture - we got it all for free, I'm sure - where did it all go? I can't remember what I did with that miserable bed. I remember we left the frige and fan behind. I wonder if anyone else used them, or if they just put them out in the trash.

 
At October 6, 2005 at 3:39 PM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

I was all ready to read Math Geeks and sigh, when lo and behold there was a new post!

Did your parents not know you were living like refugees?

 
At October 6, 2005 at 6:24 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Sheila's parents lived six or so hours away, and I don't think mine really understood the squalor, even though we were only half and hour away. I can't remember them ever coming over, although I'm sure they must have at least once. I do recall that my mom used to laugh at the way I would eat whenever I came home for a dinner visit. Apparently, I would eat several helpings and clean my plate spotless. I was hungry that year. Most of the time. I remember also, that my dad would occasionally slip a twenty into my pocket as I was leaving. He understood that it wasn't great, but I don't think they had any idea how bad it was.

 
At October 6, 2005 at 6:37 PM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Oh, and She, I have no idea either what happened to all of our furniture. You got married straight out of that apartment, and I was engaged and left the country for three months in PNG only a few days after your wedding. I think our minds were not on furniture.

Do you remember all the letters that you wrote me in PNG that summer, the first summer of your marriage? Those letters were sooo funny, but not always appropriate for general audiences.

Overseas, mail hungry friends would often pass around each others' letters, just to have some mail to read. I always had to hide yours discreetly and sneak them home, burning holes in my pocket all the mile walk home from the post office, to read them privately. I really should look through some old boxes and see if I still have any of those letters.

 
At October 11, 2005 at 10:15 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

OH MY! I do not remember any of those letters! You should find them! I'd probably laugh myself silly. What a riot!

Remember when my mom was there right before my wedding? Were you there when I was super stressed and she cheered me up with an impromptu party, complete with snack cakes arranged to look like male anatomy? Ahahahaha it was so funny.

 
At October 11, 2005 at 10:50 AM, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

I remember your mom being there, but how did I miss those cakes??

 
At November 3, 2005 at 7:53 AM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

It's been a month, a girl can hope.

 
At November 7, 2005 at 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it wasn't pretty -- but the odd thing is I don't remember really minding it (well, besides the cockroaches, disgusting fridge, and oh that bathroom). I was pretty proud of our "free-theme" based decor.

I soo remember the infamous "cake" fashioned by Sheila's mom (your mom is such a riot - She). I actually think I have a picture of it somewhere.

Yes -- life in that apartment was pretty interesting that last month or so...TWO (yep, count 'em, two) engaged college girls trying to finish up school AND plan weddings, everyone moving and/or preparing to leave the country, etc.

--k

 
At November 24, 2005 at 9:31 AM, Blogger Alison Hodgson said...

Well, there you go. In response to the above.

OK, it has been almost two months. Come on! You are going to lose your audience (me) if you don't watch out. And don't give me the whole, "It's the holidays, I need to take care of my home and children and have a relationship with my husband" line.

Priorities Ladies!

 
At May 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Boy, I think we need to turn on the comment verification letters thingy here.

Or not. at least someone is adding stuff to the mix . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home